Things are starting to wind down. We are slowly preparing for school. Parents say goodbye to their college students. Cool temperatures start to take over as the heat drifts away. Final hoorays and last minute barbeques get squeezed in. Between now and Labor Day is our last chance to party it up and call August summer still.
We reflect on a wonderful season that we’re halfway through; knowing that despite the summer lasting through most of September, we can’t help but face the reality of returning back to “regular time.” We can feel the harvest moon just around the corner.
When I was in Boy iScouts, I went to Camp Napowan in Wisconsin. It always felt like the “big event,” with campfires, canoeing and watching meteor showers up on a hill after a night hike. In many ways, I view it as the best month to camp in. Lots of fires and roasting marshmallows too! Plus baseball season starts to get exciting as we get close to the playoffs!
I put together a nice mix of music to listen to in August, to celebrate the memories of summer. The songs on this playlist are reflective and hopeful as well.
Anyway, it evokes a nice mood and helps us prepare for what is around the corner. Enjoy the soundtrack to our August this year:
1. Summer’s Almost Gone by The Doors
2. The Boys of Summer by Don Henley
3. Where Have All The Good Times Gone by The Kinks
4. Summer Nights by Olivia Newton-John
5. Night Moves by Bob Seger
6. Nightswimming by R.E.M.
7. White Sandy Beach of Hawaii by IZ
8. Summertime Blues (written by Eddie Cochran) but performed by The Who
9. Don’t Dream It’s Over by Crowded House
10. Time Stand Still by Rush
11. Sleep Walk by Santo & Johnny
12. Free Fallin’ by Tom Petty
13. Yesterdays by Guns N’ Roses